Delavan, Illinois

ThredUP.com is an online consignment store based in SF CA but with a Cambridge MA phone no. On their website for the past few months they have been advertising a "special" for owners of expensive designer purses to get 100% back from the sale of those purses (versus the usual 40% for the consignor) if they were submitted by Feb. 28, 2015. In light of this offer, I mailed a high quality, impeccable, flawless black leather Coach purse that I liked very much. I shipped it on Feb 27 in one of their bags via USPS. Prior to mailing the purse I took pictures of both the inside and the outside of the purse to document the high quality and perfect condition of the bag.

On March 12, I received an email from the company stating that my thredUP bag no. 598684 was received and that they were not able to accept the purse because it was not up to their standards. However, there were no specific details or photos or any supporting documentation regarding what was wrong with the purse. I immediately emailed them and called their customer line numerous times trying to reach them to find out what was wrong with the purse and have them return it. I have tried numerous times to reach several parties in the company to no avail. Unfortunately, I failed to pay the $12.99 return guarantee fee because I knew that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bag and that it met all of their requirements as I had researched it thoroughly and examined the bag completely.

Since receiving the email I have been reviewing the online reviews and BBB complaints against this company and was aghast to find that this is their modus operandi. They have a very long history - dating back to at least 2011 of taking very high end expensive items submitted by customers who did due diligence in researching and abiding by the requirements as did I - only to have their items "confiscated" and held hostage and never returned. They claim that these items are discarded, but I am confident that they are being sold on some other online site and that thredUp is keeping all proceeds. The many complainants allege that the company generally keeps the lesser quality, poorer condition items for resale but "rejects" the very high end items and does not return them. There are even reviews by some who submitted the $12.99 return fee who did not receive their item back.

Please see the reviews submitted on the following websites:

San Francisco BBB (170 complaints within the past 3 years - most of which were not resolved)

www.resellerratings.com/store/thredUP

www.complaintslist.com/websites/clothing/thredUP

www.ripoffreport.com

www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.thredUP.com

www.scambook.com/company/view/38993/Thred-Up

thriftedshift.blogspot.com/2013/09/thred-up-seller-review

According to the BBB website, the principals are Mr. John Voris (COO), Ms. Daniela Picetti (Customer Service Manager), Mr. James Reinhart (CEO and Co-Founder). The other person mentioned in an email promoting the company is the Chief Marketing Rep, Anthony Marino.

This person wrote the review because of problems with payment of coach purse from ThredUP and attached photo s. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $150 and wants ThredUP to "i want either my purse back or $150 in payment or $150 credit".

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by ThredUP for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with ThredUP?

Comments