ThredUP.com is an online consignment store based in SF CA but with a Cambridge MA phone no. On their website for the past few months they have been advertising a "special" for owners of expensive designer purses to get 100% back from the sale of those purses (versus the usual 40% for the consignor) if they were submitted by Feb. 28, 2015. In light of this offer, I mailed a high quality, impeccable, flawless black leather Coach purse that I liked very much. I shipped it on Feb 27 in one of their bags via USPS. Prior to mailing the purse I took pictures of both the inside and the outside of the purse to document the high quality and perfect condition of the bag.
On March 12, I received an email from the company stating that my thredUP bag no. 598684 was received and that they were not able to accept the purse because it was not up to their standards. However, there were no specific details or photos or any supporting documentation regarding what was wrong with the purse. I immediately emailed them and called their customer line numerous times trying to reach them to find out what was wrong with the purse and have them return it. I have tried numerous times to reach several parties in the company to no avail. Unfortunately, I failed to pay the $12.99 return guarantee fee because I knew that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bag and that it met all of their requirements as I had researched it thoroughly and examined the bag completely.
Since receiving the email I have been reviewing the online reviews and BBB complaints against this company and was aghast to find that this is their modus operandi. They have a very long history - dating back to at least 2011 of taking very high end expensive items submitted by customers who did due diligence in researching and abiding by the requirements as did I - only to have their items "confiscated" and held hostage and never returned. They claim that these items are discarded, but I am confident that they are being sold on some other online site and that thredUp is keeping all proceeds. The many complainants allege that the company generally keeps the lesser quality, poorer condition items for resale but "rejects" the very high end items and does not return them. There are even reviews by some who submitted the $12.99 return fee who did not receive their item back.
Please see the reviews submitted on the following websites:
San Francisco BBB (170 complaints within the past 3 years - most of which were not resolved)
According to the BBB website, the principals are Mr. John Voris (COO), Ms. Daniela Picetti (Customer Service Manager), Mr. James Reinhart (CEO and Co-Founder). The other person mentioned in an email promoting the company is the Chief Marketing Rep, Anthony Marino.
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
- Reason of review:
- Problems with payment
- Preferred solution:
- I want either my purse back or $150 in payment or $150 credit
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Coach Purse
- Review category
- Footwear and Clothing
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Ordered a dress and used the size chart provided as a guide and the dress adverised is on the right, the one I recieved is on left...it is not a..."
- "I walked in planning to sell three shirts I had never sold anything to platos closet before. so the lady very rudely explains to me it has to be in..."
- "Pissed to receive a response from Miranda, one of the customer service of TB dress, on 28 Aug. She asked me to delete the review on the sitejabber and pissedconsumer..."
- "I purchased a small canvas emergency pouch last November it was intended to hold personal items, medication, a torch and batteries things for an emergency. When it did not appear..."
- "Bosch Washing Machine under Sears Maintenance Agreement - washer is likely 10 years old, the main bearing went out just after Thanksgiving (November) 2016 - unable to use washer until..."
- "I placed an order for a LIMITED edition T-shirt in Oct 2016 and received nothing so far (3 months passed). I tried the "Order Tracking" via the "Email us" on..."
- "after a couple years the heater stopped heating and only put out sort of warm air. customer service sent out new bulbs and when i pulled out the old..."
- "i went to purebred breeders web site picked out a husky $1100 dollars they guaranteed the dogs health and said they knew the breeder for years very trustworthy ,,1 week..."